- Eat only mung beans and rice for 30 days as a mono-diet. Cook with lots of vegetables. Yogi Bhajan says,” You Americans are rich. You should but lots of vegetables in your mung beans and rice.”A good cleansing diet that gives plenty of nourishment.
- Good for the kidneys, colon, and digestive organs, or when food is not being digested thoroughly by the intestines.
- Good diet for winter (make it spicy)
- May have fruit in between meals for snack. Also may take yogi tea.
Makes 8 servings
- 1 Cup Mung Beans
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 9 Cups Water
- 6-7 Cups assorted Vegetables
- ¼ Cup Ghee or olive oil
- 4-5 Cloves of fresh Garlic, crushed in a press
- 2 Onions, Chopped
- 1 finger fresh Ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 Tsp Tumeric
- 1 1/2 Tsp Cumin powder
- 3/4 Tsp Ground Coriander seed
- Seeds of 5 Green Cardamon Pods (or 3/4 tsp powder)
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- ½ Tsp Crushed Red Chilies (more if you like spicy OR omit completely if you don’t like it hot)
- 1 – 1 1/2 Tbsp Sea Salt
This recipe goes much smoother if you prep everything before you begin.
- Add salt to water in a large stew pot and bring water to a light boil.
- Wash Mung beans, carefully removing any tiny stones.
- Rinse Basmati Rice at least three times to remove starch.
- Set mung beans and rice aside.
- Chop assorted vegetables.
(Prepare the Masala Mixture while waiting for water to boil)
- Heat Ghee (or Oil) in a large frying pan (preferrably cast iron.)
- Add garlic (using press), chopped onions, and Ginger and saute under a medium flame. When Onions, Garlic and Ginger are translucent, add Turmeric, Cumin, Coriander, Cardamon, Crushed Chilies and Black Pepper; mix well.
- When all spices are absorbed shut off flame and let sit for 5 min, covered.
(When water begins to boil)
- Add mung beans to boiling water.
- Reduce flame to simmering and cover and boil until the beans start to soften and open, (15-20 min.)
- Add Masala Mixture to water with mung beans and vegetables.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes until soupy.
- Add rice and cook an additional 15-20 min until rice is absorbed.
- Shut off and let set 15-20 min.
- Serve with fresh yogurt (or sour cream.)